Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sometimes at work we get really busy. I mean we'll be in the middle of doing something like maybe putting up stock, placing stock orders, answering the phone and turn around only to find that the counter has filled up with people so all you can do is say..."Who's next?" The guys will raise their hands and we're off filling orders.
I noticed the other day an older man sitting quietly waiting for his turn. Even though he was seated on one of our bar stools he stood out in the crowd because he wore a cap that proudly read "Korean War Veteran". I made the assumption that Kenny was helping him and Kenny assumed that I was. Still he sat there, waiting, never once raising his hand to get what he needed or saying that he was next.
When it was at last down to two people, the veteran and one other bearded man the vet still didn't speak up he simply let the other customer take his turn as had how many other people?
I apologized immediately when I realize that I had over looked his position in line and Kenny did the same. I could've cried when I realized how this soldier had been treated but I could've sobbed like a punished child when I realized a whole counter full of men had allowed this to happen more than I did.
He sat there wearing his cap never asking to be made first, never asking that his position as "next" being acknowledged. Did any of those men who were in such a hurry to get their order and leave care that this elderly gentleman had helped to make it so they could work in a free nation? Had any of those men shook his hand and thanked him before they so callusly took his place in line? Was there a single man in the crowd that cared for even a split second that this gray haired man in the navy blue cap with gold lettering had made incredible sacrifices for this country that we're all a part of? Did ANY of you in this state notice this man? How many places did he go that day and get the same treatment?
This veteran of the Korean War should've been first in line even if he had been last to come in. He should've been first as a sign of appreciation in case you can't find it somewhere in your wretched soul to say the words "Thank you" to someone who could've very well died for you and your family. It's painfully obvious that the vet didn't ask to be first or next in line but I can't help to wonder...
How many times was he called first into battle? How many times had he missed a first step made by his own sons or daughters? How many first Christmases, Thanksgivings first birthdays had he missed? He missed all kinds of firsts I'm sure. Pathetically he missed his first even in line at an electrical supply store. I personally can't think of anything more sad than an entire group of people being so caught up in their lives and their livelihoods as to not even take advantage of the opportunity to make a soldier FIRST in even the smallest of ways. Why couldn't those guys have performed this one tiny gesture of appreciation? Why?
My uncle Robert Lewter wore the badge of a United States Armyman and served in the Korean War as well as my uncle Henry Long. Leggett Hurst picked up his weapon to cross the Rhine River and do battle with his colleagues of the same mind as to protect and defend freedom. I can only imagine how narrow the lines of communication were all those years ago. Just how many times did a soldier then get to say hello? Why can't we as a nation at the very least make our Veterans first above it all?
I watched that old man struggle to get himself off the bar stool and I apologized once more for my actions. His reply: 'Oh don't worry about it. My wife forgets that I'm in Wal Mart with her sometimes and leaves me. I guess I'm just a forgettable kind of person.'
He laughs at his comment and my eyes fill with water. With a split second of composure I have to ask..."She doesn't forget you really does she?" His laugh is wonderful as he replies..."No girl, I'm just kidding with you!"
I watch him shuffle out the door and quietly whisper a prayer for this old soldier who derserves nothing less than a deep and sincere appreciation from a nation of people that he's protected with this life...he will always deserve to be put first.

No comments: